Eleven days is way too long! I can’t even tell you how stressful and loaded this past week and half has been. First, I’ve been super busy with school but I’m so happy that I’m almost done with my second to last semester! Next, early last week my car got broken into and my camera was stolen so that was super sucky! Lastly, I’ve been slowly getting sicker and sicker – if you saw my snapchat or instastories today you already know I completely lost my voice!
Anyways, today’s post is a little different. In the past couple of months, I’ve experienced so much personal and work growth that I am beyond grateful and I thought that it would be good to give a little back! Since instastories began I’ve been getting a lot of questions on getting started, blogging, receiving PR packages, working with brands etc., so I wanted to take a little break from beauty and unload all the info I wish someone gave me when I first began.
If you’re thinking about starting a blog, or and instablog, or even a YouTube channel my first and most important advice is to just take the leap and just start. Becoming a blogger was one of the best decisions I made in life, my only regret? Not starting sooner.
- Have patience. Growing a blog/instablog/YouTube is like raising a child, it’s all about trial and error.
- Dedication is key.
- Have some goals and when you reach them, make some more!
- Always be honest, people usually read blogs for advice so be genuine.
- Learning a little bit of photography is great! Pretty pictures attract lots of eyes.
- Join some blogging networks. Networks help bloggers connect with companies for potential promotion work.
- Participating in Instagram loop giveaways help your following grow, plus you get new readers or viewers. I suggest participating in loops pertaining to your theme like beauty, mommy, fashion etc.
- Join some blogging Facebook groups, this is a place to meet other bloggers and make some connections.
- Attend seminars or events, you can literally google blogging events near me and some are bound to pop up. Again, here you meet other bloggers and if you’re lucky you can make some brand connections.
- Reach out to bloggers to work together or just to meet! Meeting new people is probably my favorite part in this blogging world. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and creating friendships with many inspiring humans and it’s super awesome to meet like-minded people!
- Reach out to companies/brands to work with, the worst they can say is no but the best is that they can say YES! Bloggers are amazing promotion and most companies/brands are super willing!
- Explore boundaries and break through your safety net.
- Try new things! Don’t get stuck on finding your “niche” most people don’t have a niche. I like all things beauty but I write about my family from time to time, I’m trying to get more into fashion and sometimes I write about blogging. It’s refreshing to try something new!
- Don’t force it. It’s good to be consistent but sometimes you find yourself in a creative block so let it breath and come back to it later.
- If you end up making some money while blogging thats great! … but don’t come into it for money or fame cause you’ll end up super disappointed.
- Lastly, enjoy yourself. Blogging is a lot of work but it’s so much fun so enjoy the ride!