Hello my beauty lovers! Today, I am super excited to be collaborating with the gorgeous Jasmine from JasmineMaria.com! We have teamed up to bring you guys our versions of the $20 Makeup Challenge! Challenges such as these happen all the time on YouTube and Instagram but I rarely ever partake but this one definitely caught my attention! Am I right, who doesn’t love the idea of saving a little $$ ?!
Have you noticed how makeup has become more and more expensive? Even drugstore makeup is more expensive than what it used to be, yet we buy buy buy! They called this a challenge for a reason it was HARD AF! Jasmine and I decided to keep things fair and chose one store do our damage – Target. My grand total was $19.86 before taxes, I got almost everything I would normally use but one thing … a blush.
WHAT I GOT:
- $5.99 – Covergirl Oil Control Liquid Foundation, shade 555 Soft Honey.
- $1.97 – Wet n’ Wild Coverall Concealer Stick, shade: 801 Light
- $2.00 – E.L.F Shadows in Tantalizing Taupe
- $2.00 – E.L.F Face Powder in Toffee (as a bronzer)
- $1.99 – Brow Liner Lovatics by Demi N.Y.C in Dark Brown
- $2.97- Mega Length Mascara Wet n’ Wild in Very Black
- $2.00 – E.L.F Liquid Liner in Black
- $0.94 – Wet n’ Wild Lipstick in 539A Cherry Frost
All these products were new to me so this actually ended up being a $20 Makeup Challenge + First Impressions! *Side note: I made a video for this post, but my camera decided to be funny and make half of the clip super blurry and virtually unusable but make sure you watch Jasmine’s!*
I was super impressed with some of these products and not so much with others, so let’s dive in to the nitty-gritty. Is cheaper makeup still just as good?
What was actually GOOD:
- I liked the foundation a lot, I think that Covergirl is one of the best drugstore makeup brands and even though this was their cheapest foundation it did really good at evening out my skin.
- The brow enhancer was equally as good, I was skeptical about the color but it matched my brows really well and it goes on pretty smooth. In the future I would just set it with some powder though.
- The liquid liner was definitely my favorite item on the list! This goes to show how we shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover. I was so sure I was going to hate this liner but it’s pretty amazing. Super pigmented, and it goes on flawlessly!
- The mascara was okay, I usually go for length and volume and this just didn’t do it for me. I do like this on my lower lashes though, the wand is perfect for those pesky little hairs.
NEVER purchasing again:
- The concealer stick was not the right shade, or texture. It was super rough and tough to blend and it creased almost instantaneously.
- Both the E.L.F Shadows and Face Powder were super hard to blend and also way to powdery, there was a lot of fall-out from both.
- The lipstick was the worst out of the bunch, it felt like I was putting oil on my lips and the color was just not for me it was like a red with a chromatic finish.
The finished look was okay, I could definitely wear something like this for an evening out… I would just switch the lip color! What do you guys think? Make sure to check out Jasmine’s post to see how she managed with this challenge! Now I challenge you to try this and I would love if you guys shared your looks with me on Instagram with the hashtag #VIVALANICKY ! Let me see what you guys come up with!